Thursday, December 14, 2023

Reflections part 2

 Ive always had a background thought that children are a screamy whiny spoilt bunch. In pediatrics, ive seen how everything needs to be precise and accurate. I foresee that life would not be much fun in the pediatric section. I entered my posting with 0 expectation, i just wanted to get it done and dusted.

Imagine my surprise when my supervisor posed the golden question to me, what did i want to achieve in the span of 4 months? Of all my encounters never had any of my supervisor ever asked me this. Wow i thought, what a great first impression made. I was truly in awe, finally someone wanted to engage me in my learning journey. This was how it got my curiosity started. To be honest, i dont think i gave much thought about my answer until after that. 

Neurodevelopmental disorders are the bread and butter of this department. The parental shock and despair upon receiving news that their child had a neurodevelopmemtal disorder, compounded by the anxiety if their child would ever lead a normal life, the sacrifices that has to be made to help their child fit into society were witnessed too often. Who could answer the question 'Dr, did i do something wrong during my pregnancy that might have caused it?' and look into the eyes of the crushed parents. The south part of the country fare slightly better than borneo partners, there was more awareness, more therapy options, more special school facilities. I was envious seeing how many people had more awareness and were more willing to bring their children to be screened. Socioeconomic standing also plays a role in the outcome, whichever parents that could afford to go for private therapy did have the upper hand. It dawned to be at times to think if free universal healthcare is still sustainable in the long run. 

Adolescence were the harder subcategory of patients. No wonder this period of growth was termed growing pains. Adolescence now had more challenges compared to the previous centuries, especially during the covid years. Self harm was rising as well as increased child abuse. 

Here, i learnt that it really takes a whole community to raise a child. The most effective interventions were done via a team. Each team member played an important role, contrary to the popular believe that doctors were in the highest hierachy. I had alot opportunities to take part in awareness programme which i truly appreciated. Colleagues and bosses were accomodating, giving me a pleasant working experience. 

-to be continued










No comments:

Post a Comment